Conference October 2013
Av Arne Martinus Lindstad
Nordic conference on language and technology, October 7th and 8th in Oslo – reserve the dates now!
In correlation with Språkåret 2013, The National Library of Norway will host a conference on language and technology. Organizing partners are The Research Council of Norway and The Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise (NHO).
The aim of the conference is to demonstrate the importance of language technology for research, commerce and social development. Important objectives are:
- To strengthen the links between language technology research and industrial and commercial development
- To increase awareness of the social importance of language technology
- To create an arena where experts in different fields can meet
- To demonstrate how language technology can be exploited in various research areas
The conference’s target groups are language technology experts in Norway and abroad, researchers from various subject areas, companies developing language technology products and services, and language policy makers.
The conference has three main themes
- language technology, health and welfare
- language technology, education and research
- language technology, security and defence
The contributors within each theme area will demonstrate why language technology is important for this particular area. They will also discuss the types of new technical solutions they hope to see in the future, and address the challenges these will involve for researchers and product developers.
- Gisle Andersen, Professor, Norwegian School of Economics
- Thomas Bahnsen, Key Account Manager, Max Manus AS
- Rudolph Brynn, Project Leader, Standards Norway
- Robin Christopherson, Head of Digital Inclusion, AbilityNet
- Katrin Franke, Professor, NISlab - Norwegian Information Security Laboratory, Gjøvik University College
- Stefan Geißler, Managing Director, TEMIS Deutschland
- Hugo Lewi Hammer, Associate Professor, Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences
- Åse Kari Haugeto, Section Leader and Head of The Delta Centre (National Resource Center for Participation and Accessibility)
- Lars Johnsen, Senior Adviser, Språkbanken, National Library of Norway
- Marita Kristiansen, Associate Professor, Norwegian School of Economics
- Pierre Lison, PhD Candidate at the Department of Informatics, University of Oslo
- Daniel Scheidegger, Engineer, Nav kompetansesenter for tilrettelegging og deltakelse
- Arnfinn Muruvik Vonen, Director, The Language Council of Norway
- Torgeir Waterhouse, Director, Internet and New Media, ICT-Norway
- Freddy Wetjen, Senior Engineer, National Library of Norway
The conference language will be Norwegian and English.
On Tuesday, October 8th, language technology developers will present their own products and companies.